[clnet users] FTP is (probably) going away on common-lisp.net

Erik Enge erik.enge at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 15:23:48 UTC 2006

Hi all,

If you don't use FTP on common-lisp.net nor have any of your files
stored in your ftp/ directory then you can stop reading now.

The FTP daemon on common-lisp.net takes up a good bit of resources and
every now and then consumes all CPU over such a long time that I'm
forced to kill it (apologies to whomever was trying to download
something).

Given than all files are accessible through HTTP (eg.
http://common-lisp.net/webftp/ but project members can also chose to
stick files in their public_html directories, indeed most do) and that
maintaining FTP access is a hassle I'm inclined to drop FTP support.

My plan is this:

  - look at the FTP logs and find out which files are being downloaded
  - notfiy maintainers of those files and have them move the files to
public_html
     (and update their links to point to http://)
  - wait a few weeks until most of the traffic over FTP dies down
  - shut down the FTP daemon

If you have any comments, suggestions or concerns, please let me know now.

Thanks,
Erik.