[slime-devel] Re: SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-DEFINITIONS -- return value specification.

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Wed Feb 27 21:36:18 UTC 2008

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2008-02-27 16:40+0100] writes:

> So are you content with a SWANK-BACKEND:FIND-SOURCE-LOCATION which takes
> an object and returns a list of source locations for the passed object
> (i.e. let the backend deal with _all_ details)?

That would be fine with me.

> Should I implement a default implementation that goes the
>
>   (swank-backend:find-definitions (guess-name thing))
>
> path? (Without any sort of filtering afterwards; it may arguably be a
> good enough default to provide every possible location than providing
> nothing and erroring out instead---although the latter may force backend
> implementators to actually take care about solving this rightly. So I'm
> opting for no such default implementation.)

Try the simplest approach first.

> Or how would you like it to be implemented?

I'd try to return a single location and not a list.  Presumably the
implementation of the UI would then be simpler.  A function could
reasonably have multiple locations (I mean the region of the body, not
the locations of different methods), but it probably doesn't matter for
the intended application.

Helmut.