[munich-lisp] MLUG meeting

Andreas Hauser andy at splashground.de
Wed Feb 9 20:19:59 UTC 2005

jimka wrote @ Wed, 09 Feb 2005 20:01:35 +0100:
> If there are non-lispers invited then perhaps it might be
> nice to have an ongoing series of lectures (half hour plus
> questions) about cool lisp features or maybe Lisp for Dummies.
> This could also be useful for lisp beginners as well.

I am probably the least advanced, so i try to give feedback.

> Some examples.
>
> *  How to use CLOS.

Probably not done right. I would expect Lists as Objects wrapped in macros.
If it is something else only then i would be interested.

> *  Methods before, after, around

dunno what that means.

> *  Lexical vs dynamic scoping

dunno if that's interesting

> *  Lexical closures, and higher order functions
> *  Looping, iteration, and recursion
> *  Implementing common data structues, queues, sets, tree, etc.

Not really interested, that is common in the ML languages.

> *  Installing LISP on your computer, which implementation,
>                which architecture, which version?

Not really.
Seems like ppl use cmucl or sbcl or clisp or commercial.
If it was about scheme this would be more interesting.

> *  Macros, why do we need them, what can we do with them?

Have read a book by graham, i think he says all there is too say.
Summary, macros are cool, cause the language itself is data.
Yes other languages would profit from that feature, too.

> *  Comparing common patterns in Perl, Python, Java, C, and LISP

There is a book by Mark Jason Dominus coming out just now,
who tries to do LISP stuff in perl.
It's also avalable here:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/MJD/book.html

Andy