[mod-lisp-devel] One more... :)

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Aug 2 09:12:35 UTC 2004

Attached is another little patch. I made this a different patch from
the previous one (2.37) because it might be a bit controversial.

I've added two new headers - "apache-baseversion" which corresponds to
the APACHE_BASEVERSION constant (something like "Apache/1.3.29") and
"modlisp-version" which corresponds to the mod_lisp version string in
mod_lisp.c. I think it'd be nice to have these so the Lisp side can
prepare better diagnostic messages.

One might argue that it's overhead to send these headers with every
request. I personally think that this is not an issue because mod_lisp
is already extremely fast and it doesn't really matter whether you
send another 20 or 30 bytes through the socket or not.

One might also argue that this is static information which should only
be sent once. I'd disagree because - as we all know - you can update
your Apache while your Lisp image keeps running. You can also update
mod_lisp while your Lisp image keeps running. In both cases your Lisp
application will have the new versions available immediately.

Cheers,
Edi.