[cl-debian] UCW status, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Sat Mar 18 17:31:59 UTC 2006

Hello,

even if the title is quite melodramatic, I should say that in the
last 2 weeks I made a lot of progress in (better understanding and)
packaging UCW for Debian.

If someone wants to help, here a roadmap, with the remaining issues...

Strictly speaking, to have a simply UCW server up and running you
don't need the whole bunch of packages I reported in the past [1].  In
fact, if you use the internal httpd backend, you don't need any
external web server.

ATM, the following packages are already present in Debian and can be
used without modification (and with modifications I don't include
upstream updates, but "strong" hacking).  They are:

  - arnesi
  - yaclml
  - iterate
  - cl-ppcre
  - puri
  - split-sequence
  - parenscript (in the NEW queue, see bug #349607 [2])

Other packages are present in Debian, but...:

  - SLIME swank, which thank to Peter doesn't depends on the Emacs
    code, but I'm suffering of a strange bug [3] on systems without
    the common-lisp-controller.

  - rfc2388 needs to be synchronized with the BESE version, see posts
    at [4] and [5] for more info.

  - detachtty needs an upgrade, at least including bug #282641 [6],
    which is a better solution than bug #282640 [7]).  Probably it
    needs also a new maintainer, as the bugs are really old.

The last two packages are not present in Debian:

  - rfc2109 [8], I already started the packaging and I'm waiting an
    answer from the author for a small license clarification.

  - trivial-sockets [9], I'm waiting an answer from the upstream
    author, who turns out to be the same as detachtty and also a
    Debian maintainer.

Moreover, I just finished to test a series of patches that render UCW
highly configurable without touching the source code, starting the UCW
server throught the cl-launch script [10], which is already packaged
by its upstream author, but not present in Debian.

That's all :-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/cl-debian/2006-January/000962.html