[boston-lisp] Monthly Boston Lisp Meeting - Call for Speakers and Participation

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:44:12 UTC 2008

Monthly Boston Lisp Meeting - Call for Speakers, Participants and Sponsors.

(Please forward this message to interested people. Apologies for
message received multiple times.)

I will be organizing a monthly Boston Lisp Meeting.

By "Lisp", I mean any programmable programming system. However,
speakers and attendants will be welcome to discuss any ideas relevant
to programmers using or developing such a programmable programming
system, whatever language was or wasn't previously used to express
those ideas.

The meetings take place on the first Monday of every month at 6pm.

The regular format of these meetings would be a one hour conference
followed by free-for-all discussions around drinks and food.

Conference meetings would include two speakers, on a strict schedule
of 15' presentation + 5' Q&A.
Additional slots of 3' flash presentation + 2' Q&A could be available
for project updates, demos or calls to the public. We may give more
time to exceptional speakers, especially those who come from afar.

We encourage both veterans and newbies to come and meet, maybe
becoming collaborators, mentors or disciples on some Lisp project,
whether as a hobby, as an academic endeavor, as a paid job, or as a
startup.

I am seeking sponsorship from corporate or academic sponsors to host
the event, and maybe even offer food. I have a few leads but no
definite answer yet. The event will take place with or without such
sponsor.

(I am also open to suggestions for improvements about these meetings:
different timing, food before the conference, etc. Also, we'll adapt
the meetings to the availability of interesting speakers. If we are
short in speakers, we may include such a conference only bimonthly or
quarterly, and skip directly to the drinks and food the rest of the
time. If we are overwhelmed with great speakers, we may have
conferences more often.)

place to discuss these events. You can subscribe at
   http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/boston-lisp

The next meeting will be on Monday, March 3rd 2008. No conference is
schedule at this time, only a meeting for Lispers to have fun and for
potential conference organizers to prepare the future meetings in
April and beyond. We'll meet at the CBC http://www.cambrew.com/

The first meeting with a conference will be on Monday April 7th 2008.

Whether you are an academic, an industrial programmer, a student or a
hobbyist, you are invited to join us at these meetings. And if you
have something interesting to say or know someone who has, please
submit a potential speech by sending mail to fare at tunes.org.

Topics to be discussed include but are not limited to:
* Interesting applications written in some Lisp system.
* How to use, implement or combine programming language features:
metaprogramming, macros, modules, non-determinism, security,
concurrency, reversibility, etc.
* Use of semantics for better program synthesis (aka overcoming issues
in software engineering with programming language support).
* Use of semantics for better program analysis (aka types, proofs,
tests, abstract interpretation, etc.)
* Implementation techniques for programming languages (concurrency
issues, resource management, etc.)
* How to share code between Lisp systems and alien environments.
* How programming languages and systems evolve, and Lisp systems in particular.
* How Lispers can better help each other.

(labels(({(] &rest [)(apply([
])[))([(>)(elt(]())>))(](<)(do-external-symbols(] :cl)(push ] <))(sort
<`string<`:key`string))(}({ + ^)({`816`1/5)({`688({`875({`398()"~{~A~^
{`6))(]`4({`584 {`6))(}`#36RH4G6HUTA1NVC1ZHC({`395 }`36063)))((} [ ]