[cl-debian] Re: [Bese-devel] YACLML: debianization

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Sat Oct 29 11:23:49 UTC 2005

Hello!

On Fri 28 Oct 2005 22:20 +0200, Peter Van Eynde wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2005 13:45, Luca Capello wrote:
>> > [splitting packages]
>> > is this a normal way of doing things? if so this is what i'd do.
>>
>> While it's an usual thing to split a -doc package, I think that for
>> the test suite there isn't a strict policy
>
> Well the policy gets involved because you should have a separate
> package if the architecture independent part (/usr/share/foo) gets
> 'too big'.
<cut>
> Another reason to split a package is when a part is not always
> needed. For example slime is not slime (client) and cl-swank
> (server) parts because it is possible to run the swank on another
> machine then the client.
>
> Both cases do not seem to apply in this case: the lisp package is
> architecture independent by nature and the documentation is useless
> without the package.

Analyzing Marco's code and checking back the discussion Marco and I
had when I first packaged YACLML, I now remember the problem (because
there's a problem, sorry)...

To read the documentation, you need qbook. To compile qbook, however,
you need YACLML. This is the main reason I put qbook as a suggestion,
because it's not *strictly* necessary, but it could be useful. And
this situation applies to any other Marco's package:

1) arnesi      compiles alone (without any other Marco's software)
               depends on FiveAM for :arnesi.test
               depends on cl-ppcre for :arnesi.cl-ppcre-extras
               depends on qbook for the docs

2) FiveAM      compiles with arnesi
               depends on qbook for the docs

3) qbook       compiles with arnesi, iterate, cl-ppcre and yaclml

4) YACLML      compiles with arnesi and iterate
               depends on FiveAM for :yaclml.test
               depends on qbook for the docs

Please someone corrects me if I forgot something.

And my idea for the debianization:

1) arnesi      depends on clc (in Debian this implies cl-asdf)
               recommends FiveAM, cl-ppcre and qbook

2) FiveAM      depends on clc and arnesi
               recommends qbook

3) qbook       depends on clc, arnesi, iterate, cl-ppcre and yaclml

4) YACLML      depends on clc, arnesi and iterate
               recommends FiveAM and qbook

Moreover, I can add on the package description (or in the
README.Debian) why the recommendations, to advice the user of the
other functionalities.

Or, another solution which is straightforward, we don't have any
Recommends/Suggests, but only Depends (cl-ppcre takes 100K and iterate
265K).

BTW, the packages are ready, this is the last problem ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca