Change to allow loading linked asd files

Nibby Nebbulous nibbula at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:55:45 UTC 2022

It's probably safest and wisest to not make this change. Sorry for wasting
time. Here are some words which may answer your questions, but are safe to
ignore:

I've only tested it on {sbcl ccl ecl clisp lispworks allegro cmu} on {linux
bsd macos windows}. Windows doesn't have effective symbolic links, so
unfortunately this doesn't work on it. Although it does work under POSIX
compatibility like cygwin. Unfortunately I don't know if it works on
Mezzano or Genera. I'm unsure about ABCL, Clasp, and Corman since I haven't
yet been able to run on those. I think this should only happen when the
link target base name is not ‘equal’ to  the one given, so it's only
dependent on the behaviour of pathanme-name not on any OS specific thing.

I don't think there's any change to the user's configuration that can
achieve this. Making a long set of changes to the user's ASDF configuration
e.g. source-registry.conf, seems difficult and inappropriate.

I know ASDF already supports ths case of:

/some/path/foo.asd -> /a/different/path/foo.asd

This change is for the cases where the base name differs:

foo.asd -> bar.asd
/the/same/path/foo.asd -> /the/same/path/bar.asd
/some/path/foo.asd -> /a/different/path/bar.asd

so when you ask to load "foo" it can load "bar". Everything else is the
same as if you asked to load "bar".