[RFC] subsystems vs. modules

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed May 18 15:54:00 UTC 2022

This discussion makes me worried that `if-feature` dependencies may not
function properly in ASDF. AFAIK ASDF still relies only on the file
system to determine whether a file needs recompilation.  But changing
feature values are not, in general, visible in the file system. So I
believe that use of `:if-feature` could cause ASDF to fail to recompile
files when it should.

See this issue: https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/asdf/asdf/-/issues/117

If anyone has time to check my work on this, I would be grateful.

We may need to project feature state into the filesystem in order to fix
this problem.