Versioning

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 21:02:11 UTC 2021

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 9:51 PM Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru>
wrote:

> - etimmons@, rpgoldman@
>
> "Erik Huelsmann" <ehuels at gmail.com>:
> > Could you elaborate a bit on "As semver does not work for Common Lisp"?
>
> I've opened an issue in the SemVer github repo:
> https://github.com/semver/semver/issues/771
> (Don't want to repeat this explanation over and over in many discussions).

"One bad programmer can break more than 10 good ones can fix": the issue
you raise is bad engineering (increasing the version number simply because
you can) and is not a problem semantic versioning is trying to solve. What
it *does* try to solve is that the engineers working on the software can
see the problems coming. Applications (and libraries) like Subversion have
managed to stay within the boundaries of semantic versioning for almost 20
years now, still "stuck" at version 1.x because of it. At the same time
they have succeeded to add significant new features to the software without
breaking backward compatibility. So: it's possible. The fact that projects
like e.g. Cucumber release a new major version every few months says more
about those projects than about semver.

> I will probably refine the issue description in the future, but it should
> be clear enough already.

Regards,

--
Bye,