Next steps

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Nov 17 20:09:19 UTC 2021

On 17 Nov 2021, at 14:03, Stelian Ionescu wrote:

>> On 17 Nov 2021, at 12:32, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
>>

>>> You don't have to use the Quicklisp client to load dependencies,
>>> just to fetch them (as a package manager).
>>> And for that, I think it should be always used this way.
>>>
>> That only works if you are using the QL libraries unchanged. If you
>> need to patch or extend them, you need to set up a repo and handle
>> things yourself.
>
> This is definitely not true. You can configure ASDF pretty easily in
> such a way that you have a directory of local dependencies which
> override the ones in Quicklisp. I have lots of locally patched
> libraries and never had any problem with that.

What I mean is that Quicklisp doesn't handle this -- you fall back on
ASDF without QL.

Specifically, if the library needs patching, you need to go out and find
it. AFAIK QL won't help you find the source and check it out, for
example.

I found myself doing that enough that I just went directly to checking
out the source, and skipping QL altogether.