Need to call asdf:load-system (or equivalent) from asdf:test-system

Albus Matt Piroglu mattapiroglu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 03:51:21 UTC 2021

Note I have opened an issue on gitlab, but I know it's an overkill to open
issues for questions. I couldn't find an appropriate channel until I found
this mailing list. I'll close the issue, and here is my question for your
consideration:

Hi, I'm trying to test a functionality that depends on loading systems.
Thusly I ended up writing some tests that need to load a "test-system"
during the tests, and I clear the system afterwards.

A simplified code for the test in question is:

(test check-the-system-is-loaded-as-expected ()  (asdf:load-system
"my-test-system-under-test-folder")  (is --check that the system
loaded as expected--)  (asdf:clear-system
"my-test-system-under-test-folder")  (delete-package
"PACKAGE-FROM-TEST-SYSTEM"))

and, to clarify, another test relies on the same system not being loaded,
so I don't think a dependency would solve the issue, it is rather a dynamic
decision to load or not.

Now, I know that this feature is deprecated and may not work. What I'm
wondering if there's a safer way to achieve this. Wouldn't some tests for
asdf itself need loading some test systems for example? (hmm it actually
might be a good idea to go check them now). OK, for example there's a
hello-world-example.asd in test, which looks similar to my
my-test-system-under-test-folder.

So, instead of asdf:load-system in the above test code, should I be using a
lower-level operation call?

Thanks!

Albus