why does ASDF ask to please only define system/test?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:03:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 3:56 PM Stas Boukarev <stassats at gmail.com> wrote:

> I specifically don't update cl-ppcre.asd, so that these messages annoy as many people as possible and they complain to ASDF. cl-ppcre/test works perfectly fine, nobody calls find-system on it, it's only ever used via (asdf:test-system :cl-ppcre), which still works.
>
> ASDF is an entrenched monopoly, there's no competition and you can't just choose some other system to use. So it can change its behavior with every release and all the users can do is just to suck it up.

Oh, so SBCL and other projects you work on never introduce new
warnings, never deprecate old (mis)behavior? Good to know.

And, well, you can submit patches to ASDF, fork it, etc. If you showed
goodwill, you might even have been coopted as maintainer. Or maybe you
can convince the next "official" maintainer: whoever it is who is
willing to put in the hard work to keep the thing running coherently
on 17 different implementations and a wide range of inputs, with few
thanks but many complaints from members of the community whatever they
do or fail to do—or sometimes insults years later when no objection
was made at the time the disputed behavior was initially discussed or
introduced.

Taxation with representation ain't so hot either. – Gerald Barzan