Another follow-up from yesterday's doc reviews

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Thu Sep 22 20:44:42 UTC 2016

Actually now LOAD-ASD controls syntax, sets the readtable, controls the pretty-printer, sets up a cache, and a handler. And who knows what it will do tomorrow?

For the record, I'm not a fan. I would prefer that asd files were normal lisp. But they aren't, so I don't think we should lie about it, and I don't want to field alleged bug reports that arise because someone thought they were, when they are not.

I understand Stelian's point, but I still regret our making DEFSYSTEM look like normal code when it no longer is. In retrospect, I think we jumped the shark way back in the day when we gave up making programmers choose their own packages for the asd files. Making a package, and then instituting ASDF-USER was the top of the slippery slope.

But we're down the slope now, so I propose to at least warn programmers when they're doing something we have defined as wrong.

 We could make this a continuable error as a concession to people who know that they want to evaluate these forms outside LOAD-ASD, but that's as far as I'm prepared to go.

Sent from my iPhone