Wildcard modules support

rcn rcn at lateralt.net
Fri Jun 24 17:31:18 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Will wild-module support ever be fully and "officially" supported?

Currently there's what appears to be a sample implementation as part of
asdf/contrib but, if I recall correctly, asdf/contrib is bound to
disappear eventually (actually, the documentation says this is an empty
package). However, it's not clear how to use it, it's not documented and
it's not clear if it will ever be a part of asdf or not.

In my mind, this is an useful feature. Not for small systems (which,
sadly, are the majority of Common Lisp open source projects), but for
large systems where new files may be added to a directory to incorporate
additional functionalities (a plug-in kind of thing).

In these scenarios, wild-module definitions would ease development and
system maintenance greatly. As far as I know, asdf is perfectly capable
of implementing it and it looks to me like an implementation-agnostic
feature, so I see no reason not to include as a core component.

Thanks,
rcn