user-homedir-pathname on cmucl

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 21:54:43 UTC 2015

I thought I had sent a response to this, but I guess not.

    Robert> I think what we want is this, right?

    Robert> (defun test () (pathname-match-p
    Robert> (uiop/common-lisp:user-homedir-pathname) (first
    Robert> (ext:search-list (cl:user-homedir-pathname)))))

    Robert> that fails on master, and passes with your patch.

Yeah, that's the correct version.

    Robert> It's not particularly clear to anyone who's not familiar
    Robert> with CMUCL.  Is there a way to illustrate the issue
    Robert> without reference to EXT:SEARCH-LIST?  Or can you provide

The whole issue is the search-list and how pathname-match-p doesn't
handle it.

Here's a separate example of the issue.

(setf (search-list "tmp:") '("/tmp/"))

(pathname-match-p #p"/tmp/foo.lisp" "tmp:foo.lisp") gives an error.

But if you had a logical-pathname host "temp", then

(pathname-match-p #p"/tmp/foo.lisp" "temp:*.lisp") doesn't signal an
error.  It actually returns nil, which doesn't seem quite right if
there's a translation ("*.lisp" "/tmp/*.lisp").

Ugh. I hate pathname issues.

    Robert> comment for this?  If I just drop this form into the test
    Robert> suite, I foresee it creating great confusion for some poor
    Robert> shlub (possibly me) who reads in > 6 months from now....

A comment is that asdf doesn't want to use search-lists for
user-homedir-pathname,  Convert it to a physical pathaname.

    Robert> It seems like we're doing *SOMETHING* with
    Robert> USER-HOMEDIR-PATHNAME followed by merging that causes
    Robert> PATHNAME-MATCH-P in this function to error out.

    Robert> But to be honest, I have no idea what's going wrong, or
    Robert> why it's ASDF's fault.  If you merge a pathname with
    Robert> USER-HOMEDIR-PATHNAME's return value, it seems to me you
    Robert> ought to be able to call PATHNAME-MATCH-P on the result.

Yes, and indeed (merge-pathnames "foo.lisp" (user-homedir-pathname))
returns "home:foo.lisp" as expected.  But pathname-match-p doesn't
like search-lists.  I guess that's cmucl's fault.

    Robert> It seems like you're saying it's something about the way
    Robert> that search-lists deal with nonexistent directories.  Is
    Robert> that right?

    Robert> Or is this because when we merge we aren't appropriately
    Robert> creating something that's a wildcard pathname?

I don't know either.

I will look into making pathname-match-p understand search-lists.
I'll leave it up to you on whether asdf should use a different
user-homedir-pathname.  I think it makes some sense for any using
cmucl with a pathname-match-p fix with newer versions of asdf.

--
Ray