[asdf-devel] Make the CL syntax predictable

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 17:05:54 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:
> Faré <fahree at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Should ASDF fail the libraries which modify global readtable - I doubt it's ASDF role.
>>>
>> Yes it is, see my paper:
>> http://fare.tunes.org/files/tmp/asdf/asdf3-2014.html#%28part._.Safety_before_.Ubiquity%29
>
> So you want to make a change rapidly to suit the deadlines of a
> conference, and the justification for the change is the paper you wish
> to submit?

No.

1- I want the release to happen before the paper goes final, in April,
whether this change makes it or not. I don't believe that a release
every six months is too much. As far as I can tell, there are no
blockers, and ASDF 3.1.0.94 is otherwise ready for release. It has
passed all tests on Linux and with cl-test-grid and probably should
pass them on Windows, Mac (and possibly Genera(!?)) before release.

2- I want the change to happen, at whatever pace it will come, before
or after the release. And the best time to start is now. I don't
decide what goes inside a release anymore, though if the change is
conservative as I wish it to be and passes cl-test-grid without
regressions, then I think it will be a great thing to include just
before a #+asdf3.1 feature increase rather than just afterwards. I
don't think it should block the release, though.

> You can always adapt the paper to explain how the current asdf
> maintainers are too lazy to adapt to your insights, as you imply is the
> case for the current Quicklisp maintainer.

Not at all what I implied. If that's my current paragraph on Quicklisp
left an impression of being disparaging to you, I apologize, and I'll
update it ASAP.

I understand that time resources are limited. No laziness involved.
You do what you want with your time, I do what I want. You're
obviously not interested in upgrading to ASDF 3, I'm obviously not
interested in waiting for you to improve ASDF further. We also
obviously have different ideas as to what the mission of ASDF is —
this paper expounds my case.

Regards,

Factum, non dictum, amicus quaerit