[asdf-devel] Pushed version 3.1.0.52 -- first version with checks for OPERATION subclasses -- please test!

Robert P. Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Jan 21 22:46:17 UTC 2014

If you have any systems that define their own subclasses of OPERATION,
*please* pull this update and test.

This new version checks to see if OPERATION classes have been updated to
adapt to Fare's refactoring of the OPERATION class hierarchy.

In a nutshell, Fare has added MIXIN subclasses of OPERATION that control
the propagation of dependencies.  These new subclasses are

DOWNWARD-OPERATION
UPWARD-OPERATION
SIDEWAY-OPERATION and
SELFWARD-OPERATION

To these, I have added NON-PROPAGATING-OPERATION.

New subclasses of OPERATION will be checked to see if they inherit from
one of the above classes, and if they do not, ASDF will signal an error.

Fixes for this error should look something like this:

(defclass my-operation (OPERATION)
  ...)

should turn into something like

(defclass my-operation (#-asdf3 OPERATION #+asdf3 DOWNWARD-OPERATION)
  ...)

with DOWNWARD-OPERATION being replaced by whatever is/are the
appropriate dependency (non-)propagating class(es).

I hope to add a page or two to the Texinfo documentation to provide more
information before the final release.

Best,