[asdf-devel] clisp, logical pathnames, and ASDF

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 06:42:41 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Robert P. Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> I have been grappling with my inability to upgrade clisp, and find
> myself confused by the following events in my transcript:
>
> [17]> (uiop/pathname:ensure-pathname "home:lisp;asdf;")
> #P"home:lisp;asdf;"

BEWARE!
ENSURE-PATHNAME uses PARSE-UNIX-NAMESTRING, not PARSE-NAMESTRING.
In this case, you want PARSE-NAMESTRING (possibly through PATHNAME).

(describe (uiop/pathname:ensure-pathname "home:lisp;asdf;"))

#P"home:lisp;asdf;" is a pathname, with the following components:
NAME = "home:lisp;asdf;"
VERSION = :NEWEST

(Also, most of the time that you use MERGE-PATHNAMES, you should probably
instead be using UIOP:MERGE-PATHNAMES* or UIOP:SUBPATHNAME.)

> I am not at all experienced with clisp, and find myself on strange and
> shaky ground here.

CLHS pathnames are strange and shaky. UIOP tries to paper over the issues,
making them notably less shaky and the price of being a bit stranger.

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win.
	— Gandhi