[asdf-devel] Re: Trying to get ASDF tests (especially uiop:run-program) on Windows (Allegro CL, CCL) cleaned up before 3.0.3 release

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Mon Sep 9 17:16:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Dave Cooper <david.cooper at genworks.com>
> wrote:
> > CCL 1.9
> > =======
> >
> > The second failure just looks like the extra space after the "ok 1" as we
> > were seeing before. Perhaps this is also a CCL issue? Can anyone from
> > Clozure comment on this?
> >
> As I mentioned before, it's a CCL bug. I filed
> http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1110

Ok - so this issue is closed as far as this email thread is concerned.

>  > Also, I think I confirmed that CCL's ccl:run-program on Windows really
> does
> > need the "cmd /c " prepended to be able to run a normal program.

> I believe it might be a matter of searching %PATH% or not.
> It's really better to have an interface that doesn't call CMD when you
> don't want it called.
> The price to pay may then be to have to specify a full path for the
> target command.
> Note that uiop:run-program already accepts a :force-shell t argument
> for people who want CMD /C to be forced. (PS: definitely not tested
> under Windows.)

Yes absolutely right. Sorry for taking so long to understand this. I
confirmed it with various calls to the CCL executable itself (using the
full pathname etc).

So the reason we do the (cons "cmd" (strcat "/c " command))  on CCL is
because ccl:run-program requires the executable as a separate argument, and
it would be too convoluted/error-prone to try to parse the executable out
of a string given by the user and call the ccl:run-program with it as a
separate argument. So when the user gives a string argument we just use
"cmd" as the executable. Sounds reasonable enough.

When and if CCL provides a run-program which allows direct command-line
access, as Fare suggests in http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1110, then
uiop:run-program will be able to call this version of run-program when
given a string, and just pass the string directly.

You worry too much about your job.  Stop it.  You're not paid enough to