[asdf-devel] Advanced Configuration

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 09:01:30 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 2:40 AM, FAU <fau at riseup.net> wrote:
> I'd like to find out if I can do this with ASDF.
>
> (defun foo ()
>   #+foo1.0
>   :foo1.0
>   #+foo1.1
>   :foo1.1
>   )
>
> As you can see the behaviour of the fn foo depends on version request
> features (which, lets say, represents the API version and not the
> software package version) which must be pushed on *features* before the
> system is compiled (or loaded).
>
> I'd like to have ASDF reject any operation on system foo if there's not
> an appropriate API version request feature present for it and notify
> the user in some way.
>
> I'd like to keep multiple fasls for different API versions in the
> cache.  (One way to achieve this, which comes to my mind, would be to
> mangle the name of the fasl output file name to incorporate the version
> in same way or to change the output directory path.)

Dear Frank,

You could have a form in foo.asd that uses #+ or (featurep ...) to
query the features,
and control that in your build scripts before you call ASDF on your system.
However, I don't recommend this strategy.

I recommend you compile either only the latest version by default, or
compile all versions if compatibility is a must, and select at runtime
via some parameter or hook.

In general, anything that makes compilation non-deterministic is to be
frowned upon.

That said, I remember that at ITA, h4ns did a subclass of
cl-source-file so that a file could be compiled twice (with a
different output name, each time), one in each of two packages. You
could do something similar, except with two features. In the recently
published snapshot of QUUX, see in
lisp/qres-build/asdf-source-in-package.lisp for inspiration.

Legislation is the manifestation of Evil in the world. Legislation is the
supreme camouflage of the devil, for it institutionalises Evil by giving
it the appearance of Good.
        — Christian Michel, http://www.liberalia.com/htm/cm_obey_laws.htm