[asdf-devel] component-property

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 17:53:11 UTC 2013

>> Synchronization is NOT necessary to add new slots.
>> If you want a new slot, just create a new class with that slot,
>> and use both :defsystem-depends-on and :class in your defsystem form.
>> This usage pattern wouldn't work on ASDF 1 or early ASDF 2, but
>> it works quite well since ASDF 2.016 from June 2011 and later.
>> Then, a year after your slot gets merged into asdf:system,
>> you can stop using your defsystem-depends-on.
>
> Feel free to adopt this technique for your proposed website slot, so it
> does not cause compatibility problems. Please do not remove other
> techniques.

There is no compatibility problem whatsoever with adding optional slots.

And I *will* severely cripple the properties slot, then remove it eventually,
but not until after everyone has moved away from it for a year or two.

>> The properties mechanism is already totally and irremediably useless.
>> Automation across systems is impossible unless everyone agrees on a schema,
>> or you somehow merge the zillions of possible ad-hoc schemas; but
>> properties actually make synchronization *harder* than lack thereof,
>> by making it cheaper to diverge and more expensive to converge.
>> Properties without a synchronized schema are useless within a single system,
>> where it is easier, safer and more powerful to just directly store data
>> in a Lisp variable rather than in the properties.
>>
>> In other words, properties not only do not serve the purpose
>> they look like they are addressing, but cannot possibly serve any purpose.
>> They are a lure and a waste of everyone's time — an attractive nuisance.
>
> I think it would be pretty easy to get everyone to agree on a schema for
> properties, and it would be useful to do so.

For the same price, we can agree on a schema, add it to defclass system,
and get rid of the attractive nuisance that is component-properties.

Silently incompatible is not the same as compatible.

War does not determine who is right — only who is left. —  Bertrand Russell