[asdf-devel] ASDF-USER ?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 01:48:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Stelian Ionescu <sionescu at cddr.org> wrote:

>>> What problems does it actually cause ?
>>>
>> It causes having to maintain this weird system,
>> having functions and classes the symbols of which become inaccessible, etc.
>> It causes users having the wrong expectations and/or having to learn
>> some magic semantics that do not apply to other cases.
>
> Why inaccessible ?

Because the package was delete-package'd in an unwind-protect form
after loading the .asd file, and its symbols are thereafter
uninterned.

>> * Using TRUENAME to simplify .asd management with a link farm. Big win
>> at the time, though ultimately not scalable.
>
> I still use this and love it. Actually, I'd like to be able to be
> allowed to return to the old behavior where ASDF re-initializes the
> source registry on every find-system. Given that I only use quicklisp
> and a symlink directory on an SSD, that's preferable(I don't use
> the :directory scanning thing).

I respect the *central-registry* feature and will keep supporting it.
It's great for advanced developers like you.
Don't want no caching? Keep using the *central-registry*,
it's not going away any time soon.

However, the caching is a big win for those of us who use :tree,
especially on implementations on which scanning is slow.
And that means most end-users and newbies, who want things to
just work with minimal configuration (i.e. none at all if possible).

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is
to fill the world with fools. — Herbert Spencer