[asdf-devel] opinion on asdf-encodings: OK (was: asfd:implementation-identifier is public on SBCL but private in CLISP)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 14:49:30 UTC 2012

> 03.06.2012, 17:22, "Faré" <fahree at gmail.com>:
>> PS: You originally started the fuss that led to asdf-encodings.
>> What do you think of the result?
>
> Did I? It wasn't me I think.

You most definitely did with your message from 2011-01-29,
even though things didn't go into motion until a year afterwards,
at the prompt of Oriveg Desh's 2012-03-20 message.

> Anyway, I've just read the chapter
> 10.2 "Controlling source file character encoding"
> in the ASDF manual.
> It looks right to me: encodings other than :utf-8 or default
> are in separate extension, extension hooks are provided.
>
> I support making :utf-8 the default for .asd and lisp files.

Thanks. I'm glad you approve.

> One thing is not clear from that chapter: is it possible to specify encoding
> in defsystem and have subcomponents inherit it.

Yes it is. I fixed the first paragraph to specify this behaviour.

Thanks for your feedback!

Don't tell me how hard you work.  Tell me how much you get done.
		— James J. Ling