[asdf-devel] Please test ASDF 2.017.6

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:34:08 UTC 2011

Dear Robert,

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 09:18, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> P.S. I just rebased and pushed run-shell-command, which was not (of
> course) a fast-forward push....

regarding your rebase & push, it seems that you (probably
intentionally) didn't push to master, only to a branch.
To push to the branch, I recommend you delete the old branch and push
to a new one.
You could reuse the same name, but it would only create confusion to
people pulling and not manually fixing their repo based on input from
the mailing-list, so I suggest using a different name.

Also, regarding implementing a proper, portable, run-shell-command,
see again how I do most of it in xcvb's driver.lisp, including
universal proper quoting of arguments on either windows or unix. It's
painful enough that I don't know if we want that for asdf. Also,
xcvb's driver.lisp's run-program/* is geared toward processing the
output of run-program rather than letting it happen on the console
(for some value of console that might not make sense on Windows). If
you can make it run portably in *both* situations, I'll be glad.

Another "solution" might be to deprecate asdf's run-shell-command and
recommend that packages that previous were using it should instead be
using another solution that actually works portably, whether xcvb's
driver.lisp, trivial-shell, or any other solution that is being
maintained.