[asdf-devel] asdf output locations

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:48:07 UTC 2010

On 1 February 2010 10:34, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> Having the documentation here is helpful, but a few examples would be
> even more helpful.
>
> For example, if I wanted to replicate Gary's A-B-L in the new
> configuration language, how would I do that?  I don't see an opportunity
> in the language to grab info about the lisp implementation and compute a
> binary pathname.  Is it possible to perform arbitrary computations in
> the configuration file?  *features* is not enough to do what Gary does.

mkdir ~/.config/common-lisp/asdf-output-locations.conf.d/
echo '(:root :user-cache)' >
~/.config/common-lisp/asdf-output-locations.conf.d/00-user-cache
echo '("/my/special/path" ("/my/special/cache" :implementation
"gratuitous/subdirs"))' >
~/.config/common-lisp/asdf-output-locations.conf.d/10-special

Examples ought indeed to be in the final documentation.

Note that with ABL, you must carefully load ABL and set whichever
variable in each Lisp startup script, so the amount of work is no
less.

> Also, one obvious extension to the existing A-B-L would be to direct
> different kinds of components to write the outputs of their various
> operations into different places.  Is that possible with this framework?
I suppose you could use logical pathnames on the destination side of
your translations.
Configuring logical pathnames is out of the scope of AOL. But the docs
should suggest the idea.
logical pathnames are also a cthulhuesque piece of non-portability horror.

>  E.g., write C object files to a specific location, dump parenscript
> preprocessing outputs (javascript files) into a directory from which
> they will be served by the web server, etc.
That's tricky. How do you currently do that with ABL?

> A sample configuration file or two is needed before we can assess the
> framework.
Certainly.

In a family argument, if it turns out you are right — apologize at once.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"