[asdf-devel] textual representation of plan, asdf:explain

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 15:08:55 UTC 2010

On 15 December 2010 07:10, Tobias C Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de> wrote:

> What is the way to get a textual representation of
> the plan of a system?

I wasn't aware that there were one.
Some mix of traverse and operation-description might help.

> I would have thought that this is what ASDF:EXPLAIN
> is for, but grepping through asdf.lisp did not make
> me believe that's true.

I have not been maintaining that interface, and
am barely aware of its existence.
Because ASDF is not built on top of a reflective rule-based system,
any "explanation" will necessarily be limited.
At this point, I will say: patches welcome.

> Also, is there some fundamental reason why
>
>  (asdf:explain 'asdf:compile-op :system-name)
>
> could not be the interface for ASDF:EXPLAIN?

You mean load-op instead of compile-op.
Compile-op is NEVER, EVER the proper answer.
Consider it an internal only.
If I could do it without breaking compatibility, I would de-export it.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
	— Edward Abbey