[asdf-devel] ASDF test-op question

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Oct 8 10:28:31 UTC 2009

2009/10/8 Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>:

> To me, the most interesting advantage that I see in ASDF providing a
> test operation, is that it should allow for automatic testing of
> arbitrary software packages.
>
> I do not see how providing a stream argument is relevant to that. Or do
> you propose that people should /parse/ a test framework's output?

I mostly agree with this.

If you are running your own tests, (TEST-SYSTEM :FOO) is not a huge
improvement over (LOAD-SYSTEM :FOO-TESTS) + (FOO-TESTS:RUN-FOO-TESTS),
or whatever the call to run your tests is.

It's interesting for running tests set up by other people, in which
case the failure behaviour should be unambigous -- be it
error-on-failure, an object with a PRINT-OBJECT method that makes its
meaning obvious, or whatever. Output during the operation does not
qualify as unambiguous to me, particularly since I might be
redirecting output...

That said, I don't see the ability to capture test output as contrary
to this, just orthogonal.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus