[asdf-devel] 1.374

Samium Gromoff _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Mon Dec 21 23:46:25 UTC 2009

From: "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de>
> Faré wrote
>
>> 2009/12/21 Samium Gromoff
>>> Fare,
>>>
>>> Please consider the patch in the 'missing-definition' branch in
>>>
>>>   git://git.feelingofgreen.ru/asdf
>>>
>> Applied in my development repo, master branch:
>>    http://common-lisp.net/project/xcvb/git/asdf.git
>>
>> Candidate for immediate release, if no one else disagrees.
>
> (The above link is pretty useless.)
>
> What does the patch do?

I'm sorry, obviously the burden was upon me to properly describe
the proposed modification.

Basically, ASDF:FIND-SYSTEM assumed that SYSTEM-DEFINITION-PATHNAME
returns a valid pathname.  But, of course, the reality is that ASDF
doesn't have any leverage upon what is returned by the functions
in the ASDF:*SYSTEM-DEFINITION-SEARCH-FUNCTIONS* list.

The implication is that if any function in that list screws up,
by returninig a bogus pathname, the subsequent call to LOAD
will fail with a relatively cryptic FILE-ERROR.

The proposed modification intercedes before the precious information
is lost, by checking for presence of the referenced file, and
signalling a more structured condition in case it does not exist.

regards,
  Samium Gromoff
--
                                 _deepfire-at-feelingofgreen.ru